Video - OT: Abram (2) goes on a journey: Scraps
Use this secular YouTube video to hold a creative discussion about the Bible story of Abram's journey
This activity is part of a complete Sunday school lesson on the Bible story of Abram's journey to the promised and him creating an altar when he arrives there.
In the video we see a mouse that wants to go to the moon because he thinks that the moon is made of cheese. He builds a rocket, flies off and lands on a large piece of cheese. He thinks that this is the moon, but he has landed on a large piece of cheese in the cheesemongers.
Why is this film applicable to the story of the call of Abram?
Both Abram and the mouse go on a journey because they have a dream. Abram dreams of the promised land and a large number of descendants. God has promised him this. Do they both reach their destination? Why (not)?
This video plus reflections is just one of the thousand and more children's ministry ideas and actitivities on the site. Become a member to get access to all activities.
It’s important to always watch the film yourself beforehand and to ask yourself:
- do I want to show this to the children?
- does this film work in the context and age-range of the children I am working with?
If you choose to show this YouTube video, we suggest that you download the PDF worksheet and use the following steps:
Step 1: A bite of cheese
Let the children all taste a piece of cheese. Which cheese do you like? Mild cheese, strong cheese, flavoured cheese. You can offer the children different small blocks of cheese.
Step 2: Watch the video
Watch the video 'Scraps' below.
Step 3: Sling the mouse on the cheese
For this game, you will need:
- an Ikea Gosig Mouse or other soft toy mouse/rat
- a piece of cheese in plastic or a yellow piece of cardboard
You divide the group into two teams. Take turns asking one of the two groups a question. If the question is answered correctly, each child in that group can try to throw the soft toy mouse from a distance onto the piece of cheese. How many times can they hit the piece of cheese with the mouse?
Here are the questions:
- How is the mouse similar to Abram? (Both went on a journey - chasing their dream)
- What was the mouse's dream? (To reach the moon made of cheese)
- What was Abram's dream? (To reach the promised land)
- How did the mouse achieve his dream? (He landed on as much cheese as he wanted)
- How did the mouse not achieve his dream? (He did not reach the moon)
- How did Abram achieve his dream? (He reached the promised land)
- God promised Abram a new land and a great people. Did Abram see both dreams come true?
(No, he never saw God's promise of a great people)
- How do you think the story of the mouse ends?
- How do you think the story of Abram ends?
Watch the video
Log in or become a member to enjoy instant access to all the resources on the site
It just takes two minutes to become a member! Try it today risk free!
Get a full year' s access to all our resources for just 75¢ a week.
This is billed annually at $39. No risk! We offer a 21-day money-back guarantee.
Ideal for individuals and families involved in children's ministry or homeschooling.
Church or school
Get a full year's access to all our resources for just $3.50 a week.
This is billed annually at $182. No risk! We offer a 21-day money-back guarantee.
Ideal for a church or school, allowing all your children’s workers or teachers to use the site.