Three in one!
This creative activity is three things in one – a craft activity, a game, and a reflection on the Bible story of the calling of the disciples, (Mark 1: 14-20), which you can tell beforehand.
- sticks (collected in the woods)
- string and paper clips
- glue and cellotape
- paper fishes
- a washing up bowl or a bucket
- pens and score card
- egg timer
Tie the string to the stick, and fasten a magnet to the other end of the string (you could tie it or glue it). Teach the children to fold the fish as shown in this YouTube video.
Fasten a paper clip to each fish. Put all the fish in the bowl or bucket, and the children can go ‘fishing’ using their fishing rods with magnets on the end.
You can give the fish different scores. Who can fish the most fish with the highest scores in a certain amount of time?
An extra idea for the older children:
Write some quotes and questions on the fish and use them to have a discussion afterwards:
- Jesus says ‘You will become fishers of men’. Does this mean that you go up to someone and tell them that they have to follow Jesus?
- ‘You will become fishers of men’. Is this a promise, or something that you have to do?
- What talents do you need if you are going to go fishing? Patience? What would be good tactics?
- Are you already a follower of Jesus? Is it hard to follow Him?
- What does God’s kingdom mean? Is that also here on earth?