A look behind the clouds - creative teaching material on the ascension of Jesus
'Why did Jesus go to heaven?' and 'What does Jesus do in heaven?' are two very important questions to raise when we think about the ascension of Jesus. How can we help children in the Sunday school, teenagers in the youth group and adults in the concregation find the answers to these important questions.
You can use this visual aid / object lesson to address these questions
You bring out a (very) big white cloud made from cardboard. Recap for a short while on the cloud that took Jesus out of sight. Ask the question: "Wouldn't it be great if we were able to look behind the cloud? Who'd want to do that?" When the children raise their hands, the leaders turn the cloud around. On the back of the cloud are the following words:
"You're ready" / "Sending a Helper" / "Praying" / "Making space" / "Coming back"
Nobody was able to see what happened behind that cloud. We know that Jesus didn't go to heaven like an astronaut or in a rocket. Nobody has seen what happened when Jesus arrived in heaven, but ... God has told us some things about it. You can find these things in the bible.
- God said to Jesus: "Have a seat. You're done. You've finished your task." Tell a bit about the task that Jesus had on earth.
- When Jesus arrived in heaven, he sent the Helper. This is the Holy Spirit. That is actually the Spirit of Jesus. You can't see the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit can live inside you, if you want. Because Jesus was human, he could only be in one place at a time. Now Jesus can live and work in everyone who wants, through the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus keeps praying for the people that believe in Him and do what he says.
- Before he went to heaven Jesus said to his friends that he would go to Heaven to make a place for them. He is still doing this. He is making a place for everyone that is a friend of is and believes in him.
- Jesus will return. One day, nobody knows when, except for God, Jesus will return with all the angels. Then he will become the only king on earth and he will put everything right. He will take away all pain, sadness and fighting; he'll take all of them away! Then the earth becomes as wonderful as it used to be.
- Big white cloud made of cardboard
- Marker pens
Children's Sunday School, children's ministry, kids ministry, children's moment in church, children's work, Messy church, school assemblies, RE lessons, youth work, youth group. teenagers, small churches
1 Timothy 3:16, Acts 1:1-26, Mark 16:19, Acts 1:11, Acts 1:9, John 6:62, 1 Peter 3:22, Acts 1:9-11, John 20:17