This is a series of ten ideas about the Bible story of the encounter between Jesus and the rich young ruler that you can use. These ideas come from Martine Versteeg from www.kliederkerk.nl (the Dutch version of Messy Church). Messy church is a new form of being a church for children and the people around them. It's inspired by the English Messy Church.
In this first idea we're going to work with chocolate coins, a treasure chest, markers and the question: "What do you need if you want to be rich, perfect or the best in everything?"
Curious? Continue reading...
The rich young ruler, collecting treasure
Messy Church program:
188. The treasure chest - the Rich Young Ruler
189. Make your own rules? - the Rich Young Ruler
190. Jesus turns everything upside down - the Rich Young Ruler
191. Give something away! - the Rich Young Ruler
192. Shuffleboard with money! - the Rich Young Ruler
193. The camel race - The Rich Young Ruler
194. Crawling through the eye of a needle - The Rich Young Ruler
195. Pimp your own camel - The Rich Young Ruler
196. Looking through Jesus' eyes at the world - The Rich Young Ruler
197. Praying with a needle and a thread - The Rich Young Ruler
"Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” “Which ones?” he inquired. Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself. “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?” Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” - Matthew 19: 16 - 21